Q: Master Lu, I really like the image of the Guan Yin Bodhisattva statue from the Guan Yin Citta Centre. Can I use the image as a screensaver on my computer or as my profile picture (avatar) for chat rooms?
- Using images of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas or Master Lu as a computer screensaver is not appropriate. It is very disrespectful to Bodhisattvas if their images are flashed on the screen. We should always pray to statues or images of Buddhas and Bodhisattva in a sincere and solemn manner. Such a playful manner should be avoided.
- All images on the computer exist in a virtual format. As a result, one cannot bless the images of Bodhisattvas on the computer and invite the Bodhisattvas to enter them. This is also the case with images of Master Lu.
- In addition, these virtual images tend to flash on the computer screen repeatedly, and can therefore attract foreign spirits easily.
- If your computer is being used for browsing or storing inappropriate content, then using images of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas or Master Lu as a screensaver or profile picture (avatar) is very disrespectful.
- Images of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas on your computer can be printed in colour, and then laminated or framed. You can follow Master Lu’s instructions on how to invite Buddhas and Bodhisattvas to enter the images on your altar. You can then sincerely pray to the images. For more details, please refer to Q&A 93: Things to be aware of when placing statues or images of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas on altar.