Q: Dear Master Lu, you previously mentioned that the Six Syllable Mantra is very powerful. I would like to know whether I can let my child recite this mantra as it is short and easy to memorise.
- All sutras and mantras are bestowed upon us by Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, and each has its own extraordinary power and effects. Hence, they are all very good.
- The Six Syllable Mantra has yet to be included in the recommended daily recitation under Guan Yin Citta Dharma Door.
- If you are surrounded by wandering spirits, or if you encounter a particularly powerful foreign spirit, reciting this mantra can enhance your spiritual power and prevent the spirits from coming near you. In other words, the mantra can provide you with protection during emergencies.
- Under normal circumstances, if you recite the Six Syllable Mantra without having sufficient spiritual power, you are likely to attract foreign spirits who may disturb you with unfriendly actions. For example, if you do not know martial arts but you choose to wield a powerful sword, people who are experienced in martial arts may come and challenge you.
- It is also very important to have a solid foundation for attaining Buddhahood before you recite this mantra. Therefore, you should be very cautious when reciting this mantra. This is especially true in the case of young children.