Q: Dear Master Lu, I unintentionally offended someone, and he has put a curse on me to make my life miserable. Could you please advise me on how to resolve this situation?
- As Buddhists who perform recitations, we do not need to be afraid, as curses would not have much effect on us. However, the other party who put a curse on you will suffer major karmic retributions as it is a form of misconduct.
- As long as you perform recitations sincerely and diligently, and always maintain the right thoughts and a pure mind, you will not be affected by the curse. If you do not maintain the right thoughts and the right intentions, or if you have evil thoughts, then you will easily be affected by the curse.
- It is recommended that you continuously recite the Great Compassion Mantra every day whenever and wherever you can. You can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva help me to sincerely request Dharma Protectors to protect and bless me, <your full name>. I will diligently cultivate my mind, spread Buddhist teachings, and introduce Buddhism to others and help them achieve spiritual awakening.”
- If you have been cursed, you should recite the Heart Sutra 49 times per day and the Mantra to Untie Karmic Knots 108 times per day to resolve your karmic conflicts with the person who put a curse on you. Before you recite, you can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva bless me with compassion An unenlightened person holds a grudge against me due to a misunderstanding. May Guan Yin Bodhisattva please help me to resolve the karmic conflicts, so that he/she will not create new negative karmic affinity against me any longer.” Persist in reciting the above for at least a month.
- It is also recommended that you recite the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 108 times. You may divide the recitation into several batches.
There must be reasons for someone to place a curse on you. You must have done something inappropriate to them as well. Hence you should sincerely repent of those actions.
- In addition, you should recite 69 Little Houses and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <your full name>”. Putting a curse on you involves asking for help from spirits in the underworld. Once these spirits receive the Little Houses, some of the negative karmic affinities will be resolved, and they will not cause any more trouble for you.
- You also need to perform more meritorious deeds, help others more often, and help more people become spiritually awakened by learning Buddhism.