Q: Dear Master Lu, I frequently commit sexual misconduct and I started masturbating when I was young. I often have unwholesome thoughts and I cannot control myself. Even though I am now performing recitations and learning Buddhism, I am still having disrespectful thoughts towards Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. It is as if I have been possessed by a sex demon. I am troubled every day and I am desperate for help. Any advice would be much appreciated.
- If you have had these types of unwholesome thoughts since childhood, it is likely that they derive from behaviours in your past life. You must change yourself by reciting Buddhist scriptures and cultivating your mind.
- You can recite Little Houses and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <your full name>”. It is recommended that you recite 27 Little Houses for the first batch, followed by 7 Little Houses for each subsequent batch until your condition improves.
- You can recite the following for your daily recitation: The Great Compassion Mantra 7 times, the Heart Sutra at least 7 times, and the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 3 to 5 times. You need to combine these with the recitation of Little Houses. When you recite the Heart Sutra, you can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me strength and help me to refrain from committing sexual misconduct. Guan Yin Bodhisattva, please bless me with your compassion.”
- In addition, you can also recite the Da Ji Xiang Tian Nü Zhou, and say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, and help me to eliminate my bad habit.” The recitation of this mantra provides additional support for you to eliminate this bad habit.
- In your daily life, you should also discipline yourself. Refrain from having impure thoughts, or reading or watching any obscene materials, magazines, newspapers, etc.