Q: Master Lu, if we want to have a relationship or get married, which sutras or mantras should we recite?
- To pray for a relationship or marriage, in addition to your daily recitations, which should include the Great Compassion Mantra 7 times, the Heart Sutra 7 times, and the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 3 to 5 times, you should also recite the following sutras and mantras:
- Recite the Da Ji Xiang Tian Nü Zhou 21 or 49 times per day. Before reciting, you should say, “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help me to find a good relationship.” You can do more recitations of this mantra. Stay focused while reciting and avoid any distractions. It is best to visualise the image of the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva while reciting.
- Recite the Mantra to Untie Karmic Knots. Before reciting, you should say, “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help me to resolve the negative karmic affinity in my personal relationship (or marriage), and allow me to find a good partner.” You can recite this mantra 21 or 49 times per day.
- Along with reciting the sutras and mantras mentioned above, it will be more effective if you can make vows to Guan Yin Bodhisattva and perform life liberations.
- If you are destined to have a relationship, then Bodhisattvas will help you to find one. Otherwise, it is best not to insist upon what you are not meant to have. Even if you eventually get what you asked for, the result may not be favourable.
- Once in a relationship, you should try your best to maintain it. It is best that you can encourage your partner to also believe in Buddhism, perform recitations and practise Buddhism together, and build a better shared future.