Q: Dear Master Lu, I am taking care of a family member who is currently in hospital. I heard that it is not recommended to perform recitations at hospitals. In that case, what is your advice on performing our own daily recitations, the patient’s daily recitations, and the recitation of Little Houses? Does this mean that hospital staff should not perform recitations at work?
- For patients, it is best to ceaselessly recite the Great Compassion Mantra. Since patients are physically weak, they should only recite the Great Compassion Mantra and avoid reciting the Heart Sutra or the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra. If they have to recite Little Houses in a hospital as they need them and no one can help recite them on their behalf, then recite them only during the daytime.
- If you are a caregiver or a hospital staff member, you can perform your daily recitation as well as the recitation of Little Houses. However, it is best to avoid reciting the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra. If you must recite them, do so only in fine weather during the daytime. In addition, you should perform more recitations of the Great Compassion Mantra to protect yourself. You should also recite more Little Houses for your own karmic creditors.
- The Yin energy in hospitals is relatively strong, and the energy field is complex. Therefore, whether you are a hospital staff member, a patient or a caregiver, you should complete more recitations of the Great Compassion Mantra, and diligently recite Little Houses.
- Generally, avoid reciting Little Houses at the hospital. If it is not possible for you to leave the hospital and you can only recite and dot the Little Houses in the hospital, you must ensure that you fill in the “Offer to” field on the right-hand side of the Little House before commencing your recitations. Recite Little Houses only during the daytime.
- If you are a caregiver of a patient in the hospital, you can fill in the “Offer to” field on the right-hand side of the Little House at home first. While in the hospital, keep track of the recitations of the sutra/mantra that you have completed during the day. Put the red dots on the Little Houses later when you get home.