Q: Dear Master Lu, when I perform recitations, I sometimes burp, sneeze, get teary, yawn, feel tingling on the scalp, or feel tired and sleepy, etc. What are the causes?
- While you are performing recitations, it is fine if you experience the following: burping, sneezing, itchiness on the nose, and passing wind, etc. These are normal reactions as a result of the flow of your energy field.
- If you yawn while you are performing recitations, it is likely that foreign spirits have come to occupy your body, or Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are visiting.
- If you get teary-eyed while you are performing recitations, it is an expression of your compassion and means that you are connecting with the energy field of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. However, this is not valid if your eyes are watering because of yawning.
- If you feel tingling on your scalp while you are performing recitations, and if you also feel cold and shiver, then that means your karmic creditor is asking you to repay karmic debts and you need to recite Little Houses.
- On the other hand, if you feel pulsing between your eyebrows, warmth throughout your body, and tingling on the soles of your feet, then these are good signals indicating the successful removal of blockages in your meridians (energy pathways).
- If you feel sleepy while performing recitations:
- Your body may just be exhausted. In this case, it is best not to perform recitations, because the effectiveness would be reduced. You can continue reciting after you have had a rest.
- If you experience sleepiness only when you recite a particular sutra or mantra, then it may indicate that your recitation of that sutra or mantra is relatively good. As you perform recitations, it is like recharging your body—you take in the positive energy, and you feel relaxed and comfortable. This can also cause sleepiness.
- If you experience sleepiness when you recite the Heart Sutra or the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra, then you should be cautious. It would be best for you to recite them during the daytime or on a sunny day when Yang energy is strong.
- In addition to sleepiness, if you also experience headaches or dizziness, then it indicates that there are karmic creditors occupying your body.
- If you do not have any of the symptoms described above, yet you still feel sleepy as soon as you start performing recitations, then you should use your willpower to persist with your recitations, fight against your sleepiness, and practise Buddhism diligently.