Q: Some Buddhist practitioners returned statues of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas they previously worshipped, as well as damaged Guan Yin Bodhisattva pendants, images of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, or sutra booklets to the Guan Yin Citta Centre. Can these items be accepted and how should they be handled appropriately?
- The Guan Yin Citta Centre can accept these returned items.
- Wrap the returned items in red cloth and store them in a designated box, then put them aside for at least half a year before disposal. Misprinted books can be returned directly to the publishers for handling.
- Avoid disposal of the returned items on important festivals and special days, including the 1st and 15th day of each lunar month and Buddhist commemorative days.
- Each person involved in disposal should recite the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 7 times together.
- Offer a total of 7-21 Little Houses addressed to the “Karmic Creditor of the house of Guan Yin Citta Centre”.
- Subsequently, the returned items can be transported to a designated place for disposal.
- Say the following prayer, “May Guan Yin Bodhisattva have mercy and forgive us, we are returning these damaged dharma items to the religious places where they were destined to be. May Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless us with safety and peace, and grant us success in propagating Buddhism and helping others to awaken spiritually.”
- If there is no Guan Yin Citta Centre or Buddhist temple nearby that accepts these dharma items, you may follow this procedure: Wrap the items in red cloth and store them in a designated box; put them aside for at least half a year before disposal; recite the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 7 times; and offer 21 Little Houses to the “Karmic Creditor of the house of <occupant’s name>”.