Why are couples still childless despite years of marriage?
Suffering from a blocked oviduct or uterine adhesion that cannot be improved despite trying out all kinds of medicine?
Facing pressure from family without any way to assuage your pain?
Blocked oviduct and uterine adhesions resulted in six years of childlessness, but learning Buddhism resulted in a successful pregnancy!
Mdm Xiong from Japan has long-wished for a child. However, an ectopic pregnancy caused her to lose the functionality of a fallopian tube. The other tube has also been blocked. This is the most catastrophic thing that could happen to someone who fervently wants a child, causing her mental and physical health to suffer. After six years of such setbacks, she finally encountered Buddhism and her life took a turn. Through learning Buddhism and reciting Buddhist scriptures, she has recovered from the insomnia and anxiety that her inability to bear children has caused her. She has also since gotten pregnant! During her pregnancy, Bodhisattva also blessed her greatly, enabling her to go through her pregnancy smoothly! All things are governed by the law of causality. As such, we will only be able to truly solve problems by identifying the root cause behind our afflictions.
Infertility due to age was overcome by diligently practising Buddhism. Today, her child has come along to share as well!
Mdm Fu from Henan was already 35 years old and still did not have a child. She sought medical advice from all around to no avail and was very worried. However, after encountering Buddhism, diligently performing recitation, her mentality changed for the better. She firmly believed in Guan Yin Bodhisattva, recited Buddhist scriptures, performed life liberation and made vows. After two years of spiritual cultivation and becoming a disciple of Master Lu at a dharma convention, she dreamt that she will become pregnant in June. Her wish really came true! Today, Mdm Fu brought her 4 year old daughter to meet everyone, we are truly filled with dharma bliss!
MORE SUCCESSFUL EXAMPLES
I am from Shenzhen and had been trying to get pregnant for 4-5 years without success. A scan showed that I had polyps affecting my ability to get pregnant. Hence, I went under the knife in 2012. The doctor said that I would be able to bear children after the operation, but there were no signs of pregnancy despite 6 months of persistent effort. My husband also went for a checkup but there were no issues. We sought medical advice from all over but were only met with disappointment over the next few months.
In 2015, we had a discussion and concluded that if we were still unable to have a child in the next 6 months, we would attempt IVF. The doctor arranged for us to do the procedure in July. It was that point where we met with Buddhist friend Zhu and Guan Yin Citta, who gave us many books related to Guan Yin Citta and blank Little Houses. The Buddhist friend patiently guided us in going about spiritual cultivation. At that time, my mind was in a flurry but through the chat groups which shared information regarding spiritual cultivation, I found out just how compassionate Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Master Lu is. They have saved so many people and these people have also given their life testimonies. I listened to many of Master Lu’s discourses and the personal stories of many Buddhist friends.
I gradually became a full vegetarian in 2012. I did this not only because I wanted a child, but also for the sake of improving my mental and physical state, and to minimise the outbreak of my temper tantrums. I have been a vegetarian ever since. Subsequently, Zhu told me that performing the IVF procedure is considered as committing the act of killing and will add on to my karmic debts. The defenseless opponent in this battle is a baby, how cruel is that! My husband and I believe that every life is equal, hence, we decided that we will give ourselves 2 more months for natural pregnancy before trying out IVF.
Soon, I received a box of books and blank Little Houses from Buddhist friend Zhu who very patiently elaborated on the items. I also progressed rapidly from a state of ignorance to being competent in reciting Little Houses. During that period, I would knock off from work, return home and begin daily recitation and recitation of the Little House immediately after eating dinner. My husband was also very supportive. He would do all the household chores so that I can perform my recitation.
In the group, some Buddhist friends said that they got pregnant after reciting Little Houses for less than a month. At that time, I thought to myself that given such amazing efficacy, I should also buck up! Although I had some doubts, I let go of them eventually, and hoped that my wish would come true after hearing about such success stories. It is with this hope, I learnt how to recite Little Houses. At the time where I had recited 17 Little Houses, 2 months after I had encountered Guan Yin Citta in July to September, I successfully got pregnant! I was persistent in reciting Little Houses and listening to Master Lu’s discourses. I also dreamt of a field filled with pumpkins, an that an old lady brought a child over to the Buddhist altar at my place.
At the end of August, I discovered that my period was late although it is usually very regular, sometimes early but never late. Hence, I apprehensively took a pregnancy test after realising it was five days late. Unexpectedly, I was really pregnant! I was incredibly touched that the child I longed for had finally arrived. Deepest gratitude to Guan Yin Bodhisattva and Master Lu for their blessings. I immediately went to the doctor after learning about my pregnancy. The gynaecologist confirmed the pregnancy, and expressed shock that I was able to get pregnant in merely two months.
During my pregnancy, I was not nauseous, did not consume non-vegetarian dishes. I persisted in reciting Little Houses. Hence, my pregnancy was smooth. I was energetic enough to go to work, as I was filled with vitality and did not feel cold. My colleagues commented that it barely seemed like I was pregnant. They were worried that I would lack nutrients as I was a vegetarian, but I reassured them that my checkup results indicated that I was in the pink of health. I also did not suffer from leg cramps, surprising my colleagues to no end. I know deeply that this is all due to the blessings from Bodhisattva and Master Lu. Deepest gratitude to Guan Yin Bodhisattva and Master Lu.
During the nine month pregnancy period, I persisted. At 9am on 6 May 2016, the doctors performed an amniotomy and my baby was born. Since my amniotic fluid was cloudy, there was no choice but to perform a caesarean section surgery. I continually recited the sacred name of Guan Yin Bodhisattva in my mind and eventually, a baby boy weighing 6kg was born. Deepest gratitude to Guan Yin Bodhisattva and Master Lu for the blessing and protection.
Many of my friends were worried that I would not be able to lactate sufficiently due to my vegetarian diet. However, their concerns were waylaid as there was more than enough breastmilk for the child, and I even stored the extra in the fridge. Hence, being a vegetarian is not only showing compassion to sentient beings, but also showing compassion to ourselves. I will continue to work hard in my journey of Buddhist cultivation and save more sentient beings.
—— Buddhist Friend Lv from Shen Zhen
REASONS BEHING YEARS OF CHIDLESS MARRIAGE
Caller: A relative of mine has been married for many years but is unable to have children. Is this because the couple does not need to repay any karmic debts, or are their karmic obstacles too weighty?
Master Jun Hong Lu: These two scenarios are possible. Some couples do not owe others anything and some couples have hefty karmic obstacles. Should they have committed heinous deeds such as the act of killing or harming others, being unable to have children is a form of present-life retribution. In other cases there are people who do not owe or karmically indebted to anyone. As a result, they are not required to shoulder any karma.
There are issues to be addressed with youngsters in this aspect, i.e. on how promiscuous they act before marriage. This may then become a large factor that affect their ability to bear children which is also referred to as present-life retribution. Many men fool around with women and contract sexually-transmitted diseases without even realising it, only becoming ashamed to speak of it subsequently. Another type of present-life retribution occurs due to the act of killing or talking behind the backs of others. This may result in infertility. Hence, a traditional Chinese saying states that ‘people who commit bad deeds and talk behind the backs of others will not be able to bear children.’
Caller: I think that in this modern society, young people take sexual morality too lightly. I suppose this forms a big part of the problem?
Master Jun Hong Lu: Yes, they are just too loose in their moral code in this aspect. They are sexually active prior to marriage and when they finally get into a proper marriage, they may have lost their fertility. It is like a piece of land that gradually lose its ability to sustain crops or vegetation.
Audience: In order to find out if the cause of the issue is due to the absence of the couple’s karmic debts or if they are experiencing present life retribution, we will still have to rely on the totem reading?
Master Jun Hong Lu: As long as one of the couple was involved in the act of killing, they will not be able to have any children because it takes two to have a child. Therefore, to resolve this, the person should recite the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Lifo), Heart Sutra, perform more kind deeds and life liberation. In the case of others, the person’s spiritual foundation plays an important part. For example, this person has always been a docile girl with a quiet personality. Her life is pure and did have any karma of killing. She is not very interested in having any children but she is pressured by the mother-in-law. This is a typical case where this girl not karmically indebted in this aspect, and it is actually a good thing.
——Wenda 20120626 (Master Lu’s radio call-in program)
IF ONE IS INTO FISHING THERE IS 70% AND ABOVE CHANCE THAT THEY MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN
Caller: Master Lu, I have been married for two years now but I still do not have any children. What should I do?
Master Jun Hong Lu: First of all, were you into fishing previously.
Caller: Yes, but not much.
Master Jun Hong Lu: Many of those who are into fishing, they would have problem giving birth. The chance is as high as more than 70%
Caller: This is my second marriage, I was divorced.
Master Jun Hong Lu: Whether it is your first or second marriage It doesn’t matter. It is about what you have in your life. For example, your ex-wife was into fishing and that resulted in your problem having a child. Your present wife however is a good person. Logically, you should be able to have children with her. But now obviously the problem lies with you.
——Wenda 20120626 (Master Lu’s radio call-in program)
MISCARRIAGE AND ABORTION – THE CAUSE OF INFERTILITY
Caller: How many Little Houses do I need to recite to allow me to get pregnant?
Master Jun Hong Lu: Generally speaking, problem conceiving has to do with your past abortions or miscarriages.
Caller: I have never had any abortion before.
Master Jun Hong Lu: Generally speaking, this is how it works. It doesn’t matter if you have never had or an abortion or miscarriage with your current husband. When an embryo is formed, spirits will go into it. There are many people who take contraceptive measures after they get married, for example taking some drugs. All these will result in deceased children whom if you do not help to ascend to a higher spiritual realm, there is no way you will get pregnant. You will have to continue to make great vows. For example, now you pray to Guanyin Bodhisattva, “I wish to have a child, Guanyin Bodhisattva. I promise that when the child grows up, I will have him to propagate the Dharma, I will help others, etc.” This is what you should say. If you don’t state such prayers, it will not work.
Recite the Little Houses diligently. You should recite 21 times of the Great Compassion Mantra (Da Bei Zhou) and Heart Sutra respectively. Recite five times of the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance. You should also recite more of the Ruyi Bao Lun Wang Tuo Luo Ni
Caller: Should I address the Little Houses to my child or to my karmic creditor?
Master Jun Hong Lu: Both are alright. Don’t worry. This will happen in different months for different people. Have you performed life liberation?
Caller: Yes, I have. Today I have released two catties of fish roe. How many fish should I recite in total?
Master Jun Hong Lu: Well, release as much as you can. The more you release, and the more you chant, the more efficacious it will be.
(Another person): Master Lu, please give her your blessings. Lately, she has not been feeling very well.
Master Jun Hong Lu: This shows that you have a lot of karmic obstacles and foreign spirits. With the latter causing you trouble, how are you able to conceive? You will have to continue chanting, until you feel better both physically and mentally and when all aspects of your life is going smoothly, this is when it will be easier for you to conceive.
——Wenda 20130517 42.01 (Master Lu’s radio call-in program)
BLOCKED FALLOPIAN TUBES AND DISCOURSE ON INFERTILITY
Caller: Master, I would like to enquire – zodiac sign: dog born in 1982, a female. Please check on her reproductive system; her fallopian tubes are blocked.
Master Jun Hong Lu: The one on the right is working. The one on the left, however, is completely blocked. That’s the cause of her infertility. Firstly, she should keep her stomach warm; secondly, please tell her that she needs to look into promoting circulation and remove blood clots from her body. She should take Dan Shen Pian (supplement).
Please also tell them that they should not have any sexual acts right after a fight. Both of them quarrel often. After a quarrel when they are in a bad mood, they should not try to for a child at this time. Many people don’t understand. When they fight, the Dharma Protectors will be present. The next thing you know, they reconciled and involve in sexual acts and the Dharma Protectors will leave. One can only get pregnant when they are extremely stable, emotionally. Please do not perform this act on the first, fifteenth day of the lunar calendar month or on the special days of the Buddha when the important Buddhas and Bodhisattvas will descend to the human realm.
She has to move her feet more, walk more, soak her feet and enhance on her blood circulation. Tell her not to worry too much. Her condition now is caused by her frequent anxieties. She is being weighed down by her worries, so much so that she doesn’t even talk much now, not to mention laugh. Tell her, her emotions will affect the blood and the blood will affect the cells in her body. When the cells are affected, a person will suffer from circulatory problem and the whole body will be affected. Hence, she will not get what she wishes for.
——Zhongsu 20141122 21:23 (Master Lu’s radio call-in program)
Lady failed to conceive after ten years of marriage.
Master Lu pointed out that the spirit of her mother’s aborted child was on her causing her infertility.
MISCARRIAGE AND ABORTION – THE CAUSE OF INFERTILITY
QnA 88: Praying to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for a child
Q: Master Lu, which sutras and mantras should I recite to conceive a child?
- When a person desires a child but is unable to conceive, it is one of the Eight Sufferings in life, i.e. the suffering of not being able to obtain what one desires. Generally, the inability to conceive is caused by various karmic conditions and effects. It could be due to negative karma created in past lives, failure to do meritorious deeds on the part of their ancestors, or other reasons. These are usually major karmic obstacles. Therefore, different combinations of sutras and mantras should be applied to each individual accordingly.
- To pray for a child, you should recite the Great Compassion Mantra 7, 11, 21 or 49 times per day, the more the better. Generally, when you encounter major obstacles in life, suffer from a serious illness, or experience major predestined calamities, you should recite the Great Compassion Mantra at least 49 times per day. Before reciting, you can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me good health, help me to resolve my gynaecological issues and allow me to conceive and give birth soon.”
- You should recite the Heart Sutra 7 or 11 times per day, with the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me wisdom and help me to eliminate afflictions.” This should be included in your daily recitations. Reciting the Heart Sutra allows you to gain wisdom and inner peace. It helps you to broaden your perspective in order to solve problems.
- You should recite the Cundi Dharani 21, 49 or 108 times per day with the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me good health, and allow me to conceive and give birth soon.”
- You should recite the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 5 times per day. This is a very important Buddhist text. The inability to conceive is caused by major karmic obstacles, therefore it is best to recite the Eighty- Eight Buddhas Great Repentance 5 times per day to repent. If you cannot recite it 5 times daily, then you can start with 3 times per day, and then increase gradually.
- You can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help me to eliminate karmic obstacles, and the gynaecological karmic obstacles, grant me good health and the ability to conceive and give birth soon.” If you are already aware of the issues with your uterus or ovaries, you can specifically state the issues in your prayer. For example, “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help me to eliminate karmic obstacles in <a specific part of the body>, grant me good health and the ability to conceive and give birth soon.”
- Once you begin reciting the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance, you should also start reciting Little Houses. Although reciting the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance can help you eliminate karmic obstacles, it may activate your karmic obstacles at the same time, transforming them into spirits. Hence, it is highly recommended that you start reciting Little Houses right away. Reciting Little Houses can help the spirit occupying your body to ascend to a higher spiritual realm; your problem can then be resolved. If you do not recite enough Little Houses in time, your condition may worsen.
- If you have ever had a miscarriage or abortion in the past, you will need to recite a minimum of 7 to 21 Little Houses for each child. You should address the Little Houses to “Child of <your full name>.” Please refer to Q&A 112: Naming aborted or miscarried babies and setting up spirit tablets for them.
- If you have committed or contributed to killing animals for work purposes, this creates major karma of killing. Therefore, you should change your job. Also, you will need to recite the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra and say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help the spirits of the deceased, whose death that my action caused, ascend to a higher spiritual realm.”
- At the same time, you should make great vows. You can say the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, I vow that I will never eat freshly killed seafood or other creatures for the rest of my life.” Other vows you can consider include: Introducing Buddhism to <number of> people within <a certain period of time>, and helping them become spiritually awakened and be free from suffering; Adopting a vegetarian diet for <number of> days per month, etc. The greater the vow, the greater the effects. However, you should make vows that are within your capacity based on your current condition. Do not overpromise and underdeliver.
- You should also include the following prayer: “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, and grant me a child. I vow that I will accumulate more merits and virtues, do more good deeds, and raise this child to be a respectable person who propagates Buddhism.”
- Furthermore, you should also perform life liberations as often as you can. Life liberation encompasses all three types of giving: the giving of wealth, the giving of Dharma, and the giving of fearlessness. It is better to release in large quantities as the merits and virtues of doing so are immense.
- Those who wish to conceive should refrain from wearing high heels.
- Reciting sutras and mantras, making vows, and performing life liberations are the Three Golden Buddhist Practices that Guan Yin Bodhisattva bestows upon us. If you combine these three practices, and sincerely pray to Guan Yin Bodhisattva for protection and blessings, you will certainly have your wishes fulfilled. Countless fellow Buddhist practitioners have resolved their problems by following these Three Golden Buddhist Practices.
We should also learn to act in accordance with karmic conditions. According to Buddhism, everything in the universe is governed by the law of cause and effect, and it is not up to us to reason or find justification. When you receive something naturally, it is then auspicious. It is better not to forcefully request what you were not meant to have, especially when it comes to conceiving children. Children granted to you as a result of your forceful request are unlikely to be auspicious, and it is highly likely that they will enter your life to collect karmic debts (e.g. children who are difficult, disobedient, sickly, or have a short life expectancy).
— “Master Jun Hong Lu’s Buddhism: Your Questions Answered” (Question 88)