Introduction to Buddhist sutras and mantras Daily recitation is the set of sutras and mantras that one must complete a certain number of recitations every day. For example, one may recite the Great Compassion Mantra 3 times, the Heart Sutra 3 times, the Eighty-Eight Buddhas Great Repentance once, and the Cundi Dharani 21 times. […]
23. My daughter is schizophrenic. How should I recite and offer Little Houses? Schizophrenia is a major karmic obstacle, and it is related to a major spirit that is occupying that person. These spirits have been authorised by the underworld to bring about karmic retribution to the patient. Under such circumstances, one should recite […]
22. My mother has poor vision. May I dot and offer a Little House that she recited on her behalf? The reciter must write his/her name personally on the Little House, otherwise it will be deemed invalid. However, you may hold and guide your mother’s hand in writing her name accordingly. This is to […]
21. Can I ask others to recite Little Houses for me? One should sincerely and diligently recite Little Houses for their own karmic creditors to repay karmic debts. This is because money cannot buy merits and virtues. Should there be a problem with the quality of a Little House, it is considered to be […]
20. What should I take note of when reciting Little Houses for others? Help yourself in order to help others. When you recite Little Houses for others, you will have to shoulder some responsibilities. As such, if you do not have sufficient spiritual power, their karmic creditor(s) may come to you instead. Generally, a person […]
19. Does it work if I recite Little Houses for a non-believer? Yes, it does, but it may not be as effective. It is best to persist in recitation for the non-believer by reciting the Heart Sutra 7 times or more per day. At the same time, pray for the blessing of Guan Yin […]
18. What are some phenomena that could arise from burning a Little House? Phenomena such as the colour of ashes, magnitude of the flame, etc. vary depending on factors like the colour of the paper, wind direction, etc. You should not dwell on these observations.
17. How should I write the date on a Little House? The date field is on the left-hand side of the Little House. You can fill in either the date of completion or the date of burning. It should follow the Gregorian calendar instead of the lunar calendar.
16. Can I dot Little Houses in a hospital? It is best not to recite or dot the Little House in places where the energy field is unfavourable. However, if you have no choice but perform recitations outside the home, then you should still dot the Little House at home. Under unavoidable circumstances such […]
15. How should I recite a Little House for the karmic creditors in a rented property? The Little House should be addressed to the “Karmic Creditor of the house of <full name of occupant>”.
14. Can I recite the Little House as soon as I start my daily recitation? Yes, you can. You may recite Little Houses as soon as you start performing daily recitation.
13. Can I recite the Little House while doing household chores? When it comes to reciting Little Houses, the quality of your recitation is the most important. If you can stay focused and ensure accuracy, even if you are performing household chores, you will gain merits and virtues and the Little Houses will be […]
12. Is there a relation between a number that appears in a dream and the number of Little Houses required? If in your dreams there are scenes about karmic creditors with accompanying numbers, then the numbers usually have an association with the number of Little Houses you should recite. For example, if someone you […]
11. Is there anything we should take note of when dotting a Little House? Do not tick, cross, dot outside the edge of the circle or fill the circle right to its rim. The red dots cannot be too small—They should take up at least 50% – 80% of the space within each circle. […]
10. Is there an order to observe in dotting a Little House? Each time you finish reciting a sutra or mantra, use a red marker to fill the corresponding circle. Alternatively, you can add the dots after reciting a series or an entire section of sutras and mantras. When adding the red dots, it […]
9. Can two people recite a Little House together? Two people may complete one Little House by jointly reciting either the same or different scriptures. Each reciter must personally write their name on the Little House. The names can be written side by side or on top of each other (refer to Figure 31). […]
8. What is the time frame for completing one Little House? A Little House does not need to be completed within a day. However, it is advisable not to prolong its completion.
7. Is there an order to observe in reciting the Little House? The four scriptures in the Little House can be recited in any order. You may observe the following order if you prefer: start and end the recitation of the Little House with the Great Compassion Mantra; recite the Great Compassion Mantra before […]
6. How to deal with interruptions during recitation? If you are interrupted in the midst of reciting a scripture, chant the following mantra once to pause your recitation – “Ong Lai Mu Suo He”. You can resume recitation by reciting the same mantra again and continuing where you left off. However, it would be […]
5. Which name should I use on the Little House? You should use your official full name/full true name; not your nickname, pen name, etc. Buddhist monks or nuns can use their religious names. If you use both English and Chinese names on a regular basis or you have lodged the Application for Change […]
4. Can I pray for myself when reciting Little Houses? The Little House is a means of offering the Buddhist scriptures to karmic creditors or the deceased. It is used to repay karmic debts, so you should not pray for yourself when reciting a Little House. If you have a strong intention to pray […]
3. What is the relation between the Little House and daily recitation? Daily recitation is similar to your daily expenditures, while the Little House is like your loan repayments. Daily recitations cannot be counted towards a Little House. The prayers and the number of recitations that you perform for everyday use should be separate […]
2. Since the Little House is so valuable, will my recitation attract foreign spirits to demand it? Karmic creditors come for a reason, be it related to karmic affinity or karmic debt. Just like the human world, there are laws and rules in the spirit world. It is also true in the underworld where […]
1. How does the Little House help spirits ascend to a higher spiritual realm? The Little House is an important Buddhist method that the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva bestows upon us in this Age of Dharma Decline. All four sutras and mantras contained in a Little House are from Buddhist […]
2. How many Little Houses required? You should be persistent with Little House recitation. It is not a one-off effort, as your recitation only helps your present karmic creditors to ascend to a higher spiritual realm. It does not mean there won’t be karmic creditors in the future. Karmic obstacles can be activated and […]
1. What Circumstances Require Little Houses For beginners: start with at least 7 Little Houses addressed to your own karmic creditors. Persist with subsequent recitations according to your circumstances. If you dream about being paralysed due to a spiritual attack, someone chasing after you, giving or asking for money or gifts, treating you to […]
To dispose of an erroneous or stained Little House, you may dot the recited scriptures onto another blank Little House and say, “The Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva, I, <your full name>, have made a mistake on this Little House and it is now invalid.” The recipient and the reciter fields on […]
Partially or fully completed Little Houses should be stored in red envelopes or wrapped in red fabric to prevent the leakage of their power (refer to Figure 27). The Little Houses should not be folded or stained. Handle the Little Houses respectfully and appropriately as they contain scripture titles. It is inappropriate to store them […]
• Wrap the ashes with a clean tissue or an envelope. Do not discard the ashes into bins with filthy food waste. However, you may discard it with the other waste papers (refer to Figure 26). Figure 26 Little House Ashes to Be Wrapped in a Piece of Tissue or Envelope
6. Burning a Little House on behalf of others If you are burning Little Houses on behalf of someone else and the Little Houses were recited by him or her, you can say the following prayer, “May the Greatly Merciful and Greatly Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva help <name of the reciter> to give the […]