Q: Master Lu, many of us have the following question: We are not sure if we can recite or burn Little Houses at night, or on cloudy/rainy days?
- First of all, recitation of the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra can easily attract foreign spirits to come and take the generated power. It is best to recite the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra during the daytime and on fine, sunny days.
- However, this does not apply to the Great Compassion Mantra or the Qi Fo Mie Zui Zhen Yan. You can recite them day or night, on sunny, cloudy or rainy days, regardless of the weather.
- If the weather is pleasant at night, you can recite the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra till 10pm.
- During the daytime, even if it’s cloudy or rainy, you can recite the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra. However, it is best to avoid reciting them during extreme weather conditions, such as extremely cloudy weather, heavy rain, lightning, thunderstorms, etc.
- During harsh weather conditions, such as thunder, you can only recite the Great Compassion Mantra.
- In addition, if you feel physically weak, and you experience discomfort after you recite the Heart Sutra and the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra at night and on cloudy or rainy days, then it would be best for you to stop doing so.
- The best times for burning Little Houses are 6am, 8am and 10am in the morning, and 4pm in the afternoon. Any other time during the day would also be alright as long as the weather is fine.
- In special circumstances where you cannot avoid burning Little Houses on a cloudy or rainy day, e.g. if a karmic creditor urgently requires you to offer Little Houses or you (or the person you are reciting for) are suffering from a severe illness, etc., it would be best to burn the Little Houses at noon when Yang energy is at its peak.
- It would be best to avoid burning Little Houses at night.